Sunday, July 26, 2015

Vegan Journey | Week #1





Last year, I went to the nutricionist and I told her that I wanted to become vegan, but she immediately said no. It was something that I really wanted to do, meat just wasn't good for me, I felt awful after eating every meal that had meat inclueded. But my doctor said that it was better for me if I stucked with the diet I had, because I had already iron insufficiency and if I cut meat, it would become worse. So I decided to forget about becoming vegan and start a different lifestyle, to just focus on my healthy diet and gain the weight I lost because of my lactose intolereance  ( I lost 20 pounds by the way because of my intolerance, but now I'm better and recoverd 12 pounds).

A year past, and I never forgot about the vegan idea I had the year before. I got a lot healthier, got my pounds back and wasn't suffering with iron insufficiency any more. So I made the decision on the day of my birthday (last saturday), to become vegan. 

I will talk about the reasons I decided to start this vegan journey in another post, today I'm just going to talk about this one week experience, what did I do and what did I feel. Well, I decided to become a vegetarian/pescetarian first, so that I don't feel like I crave something. I think this is a easy way to reach the full picture, that is veganism. I actually didn't eat fish this week. I am eating only fresh fruits, vegetables, carbs , a lot of protein and other things of course. As I am lactose intolerant, I think it will be much easier not to eat the dairy products. So that is a step closer to becoming a vegan I think.

I've been feeling a lot better since last week, I don't get sick every time a eat lunch. I usually get very discomfortable after eating meat and I feel like the meat doesn't digest well in my stomach, and it feels like that until night time. And this week was a relived, a felt energetic and not hungry at all. A count my proteins, so that I don't miss them and get sick or something. And I cooked for myself this week. I love beeing in the kitchen with my mom, we usualy make lunch together, so this week we created some vegetarian dishes. I don't know how I am going to make food this week because my school starts tomorrow, and I usually am home by 12:30, the time we eat lunch here in Brazil. So I'm planning my meals for this week, so I don't bother my mom in doing my vegan meals.

This week was a week of research.I watched a lot of heartbreaking documentaries about animals and how meat is made. It was just awful, I cried while watching one of these documentaries. Is just so horrid how we know that this all happends and prefer not to think about it. And I watched I lot of youtube videos of other people talking about their journey and how they are healthier and happier than ever, after they became vegan.

This first week was great, I never felt this good before when eating. I feel like I'm doing something good for myself and my health,  for the animals and the environment. If the first week was this great, I imagine how the others are going to be. Even better I hope!

So I hope you all enjoyed this post. If you are vegan or pescetarian or vegetarian, comment down bellow your experience and when did you decided to start this journey.

Have a great week, 

Ana

3 comments: