Friday, April 3, 2015

How To Learn a New Language and Improve It | Tips + Apps



                                                   Picture by Kerri Lee Smith | Flickr






 I am not a professional in languages or anything like that, I'm just a teen girl who wants to share her own experiences with foreign languages. I don't remember telling my story in a post before, but if I did I'm just going tell it again. I moved to Brazil when I was just 7 years old, I didn't speak portuguese very well and I had a hard time learning it, actually until this day I get really confused in translating english to portuguese, it's like the words escape from my mind, but it is not a huge problem. I never considered portuguese my second language, I always told myself that both languages were my first language, because I learned them both at the same time and I have the same level of knowledge in both of them. 
 When I was 10 years old, my parents were afraid that I was going to forget english and they enrolld me in a english course, in fact I finished it last year and got my diploma. And this year I decided that I wanted to learn a new language, I thought a lot about which one I should choose and I chose French. I don't think it is a hard language to learn, because of it's similaraty to Portuguese, but of course it is challenging, because I never learned a totally new language before, like without having knowledge of the basics.

I decided today to share some tips on how to start learning a language and improving it, taking as a basis my experience on this topic. These are basic tips that I use and that can become part of your lifestyle and I am sure that it can improve your skills in short time.


1. Practice Everyday

A very simple tip, but very efficient. I study french and english everyday and I can asure you that it makes a big difference. Take a little time to review or learn some new vocab words and grammar everyday and you will master the language in no time. I set myself a goal of 10 vocab words every week, it is the perfect amount to learn, memorize and put it in to use.


2.  Read & Write

I can't tell you enough how reading helped me improve my english and portuguese. I prefer reading books in english by the way. If you are more advanced in your chosen language I say pick up a more complex book, with the classic and formal speaking of the language, that helps a lot on improving vocabulary. 
Writing is very important way to practice your grammar, creating this blog was for me a way to practice my english writing skills and not forgeting it. I really recommend having a journal or just writing essays to exercise your writing and improving it, it really helps.


3. Communicate & Listen

Speaking and listening to other people makes the process of learning a new language so much easier and fun, apart of improving your accent it can make you fluent a lot quicker. Two years ago when I was studying in the U.S, I noticed that my english was a lot better than when I didn't have interaction with others that spoke the language.
Watching movies and listening to music are all fun ways to improve a language. You can learn new words and pay attention to how the language is spoken and much more other benefits. For me what help a lot was youtube videos, I started watching them 4 years ago and it helped me so so much.



4. Travel

 A very efficient way to learn any language, I can asure you. You connect with people, put the language in practice and even learn about the culture of the country you are visiting. Of course if you want to train the language you are studying, you have to go to a language speaking country, like spanish, there is lots of different options like Spain, Honduras, Ecuador, Peru and many others.
There is even the option to study abroad and stay in family houses to learn and experiencie a life in another country.


5. Courses

If you need a little help in learning a language I would  recommend you to enroll in a course. It helps a lot if are not the type of person that likes to teach yourself. Look for a good quality and well known school, look for recommendations and for teachers experiencie, ask if any teachers were born or lived in a country that speaks the language, I think it is very important. A good course is the one which can offer language and culture.


6. Apps

So helpful, especially when there is no time or in a hurry. My favorite app is Duolinguo, it is just so fun to use and you can choose as many language as you want, in my app I have french and italian It is kind of a game, but you are learning with it.


Hope you enjoy this post and that you are having a great Easter Weekend.

Ana


No comments:

Post a Comment