Monday, July 20, 2015

Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas | Book Review









I finished the book two days ago. I meant to write a review right away but I was busy this past weekend, so I just decided to wait a little. I borrowed this book from one of my friends who insisted to read it. She told me it would become one of my favorites and that it is different from everything I have read before. So I read it and I have to agree with her, it is such a good book and very unique indeed.

First of all if you haven't read the book yet, I have to warn you that this might have spoilers. If you are interested on reading this book you can click on the link of the the Summary of the book, so that you can know what it is about and continue on reading my review.

Now that that is all clear, let's start...

The first positive aspect for me was that there wasn't a love triangle, well, not in the first book actually. You can predict that it wil have a love triangle in the next book maybe, but it won't be the main focus of the whole series. That's an other thing that made me like this book, the "romance" didn't overshadow the action, main story and mystery of the book. It just made the book more addictive and pleasant to read.

Talking about reading, the way this book was written made it very smooth to read (I read it in portuguese). The dialogues were very hooking, I just didn't want to stop reading their interactions. And the way the details were described enriched the book, like for an example the fight scenes, they were described with such precision that I thought I was in the middle of that fight and that I was part of the story. It may not be that pleasant actually, if you think about it, but I love feeling like I'm a part of the book.

Still talking about the writing, the book was written in different perspectives. But the different thing was that each character did not have it's own chapter. It was kind of confusing at first because continuing to the next paragraph you realize that it is another character talking, but later I noticed that that made the book a lot more interesting. Because it narrated the characters point of view like if they were all in the same place. Let me see if I can explain better for you...It is like if there were like two characters at the same place and the book narrates one characters perspective first than it narrates the other. Or, another example, is when two characters are in different places but the author narrates them as they were in the same time.

I hope you understood my explanation...

Now let's talk about the characters. Celaena was just the most awesome main character ever. She is feisty, spirited, sarcastic, smart and very bad ass. I loved reading her dialogues with the other characters, her presence made everything more lively. Second character  is Prince Dorian, he was just so charming and very prince like of course. He made the dialogues with Celaena even more awesome. And I really liked his personality, he wasn't like a snobby typical prince, he was courageous and cared for others.

Third Character and the last one I'm going to review is Chaol. He was a guard and best friend of Dorian. Although he was very unkind in the begining, he showed that he was very warmhearted and caring, specially when it came to his friends Cealena and Dorian.

I'm not going to talk about the other characters, just to not give the story away. Every character has an important role in the book, so it might give a little of the story.

Now a little about the mystery. You might think that the main focus of the book is finding the killer of the competitors and that is the mystery. But I noticed, you might have noticed too, that the ''mystery" of the killer leads to a much bigger picture. To Magic. And that is the mystery that will probably be solved is the other books.

To wrap up I'll say that I loved the book and that I'm planning to continue the series. And of course reviewing the series here on my blog. So I hope you all liked this review,

Have a great day and week,

Ana







2 comments:

  1. Seems like a good and interesting book, but I do feel a bit put off about the switching characters thing, I can see it being a bit too confusing and time consuming to adjust to..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi thanks for your comment, I really appreciate it. Well, I'll not lie to you, it is a little confusing at first, you kind get lost in what perspective it is, and will have to stop a little to analyze and find out who it is, but it is just in the first few chapters and it is totally worth it. You will get used to and adjust to the different perspective the more you read the book, it will get a time that you don't even have to stop and think about who characters perspective it is, because you will already know it's personality and how the character's mind works. So you'll be able to identify who it is without even thinking about it.

      And don't be discouraged about this, it is a really great book, and in my opinion the perspective thing gives the books a little bit more to it's uniqueness. Yes, there has to have a little bit more effort put on it, to reading and adjusting to the book, but you will be glad to have done it when you finish reading.

      I'm glad you read the review and that you are considering reading the book. You won't regret it. It is awesome!
      Have a great weekend,

      Ana

      longlifelovers.blogspot.com.br

      Delete