Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Am I Too Old For Ballet ?



If you are thinking about starting and enrolling in a ballet class but the insecurity because of your age or lack of knowledge about ballet does not let you? I can asure you that you are not alone. Many people are scared of starting, including myself in the beginnig, and not just ballet, but any type of sport or activity. Because they think they are too old for it or that they couldn't even get to a nice level of knowledge as easy as a younger person could.

Well, it is a fact that when you are younger things can go a lot easier and faster. Like for example flexibility, children are a lot more flexible than adults. That's why a lot of the professinal ballerinas now are like crazy flexible, it is because they started at a young age... or they are just geneticly gifted.

But I'm not here to dispirit you about how things would be alot easier in ballet if you just had started earlier. I'm here to encourage you to do ballet. Or not just ballet, it could be any other activity you are thinking about doing but are having doubts about it. Just try out a class just to see if you like or not, and if you feel comfortable in that enviroment, and then you can tell yourself that it wasn't for you, if you did not like it, and try something else. Because then at least you tried and overcomed your "fear" and doubts about that activity.

Ok let's focus on ballet now. There is no age to start ballet, no age at all. You can be 2 years old, 17 or even 80. There is no certain time to start a sport, specially ballet, that is a form of dance and expression. If you are a beginer and you are older than typical ballerinas, you can always find an adult class and start from there. Adult class is very good because almost everyone who's in it are people that are just starting doing ballet and are beginers (at least my class is like that). And that can be really nice because then everybody is in the same level and can start developping all together.

I have to be really realistic now... the much older you get the harder is going to be to become a professional ballerina. If you are thinking of starting a carrer on dancing, or you want to go to an academy and be a prima ballerina, you have to think and calculate the changes that you have according to your age and abilities. I'm not saying that is impossible to become a professional if you started at the age of 16 or even older (late for most ballerinas), it is just harder. But if you have the courage and the strenght to start, I asure you are going to make it. 

An example is Misty Copeland. She started ballet at an age that was considered late for her to become a professional, but that didn't stop her. And now she is a successful and a professional ballerina. Her dream came true. So if you work hard and if it is your dream, you are going to make it.

I am going to finish this post by saying to you guys that anything that you truly want in life, you can make it come true. And it does not matter your age or your ability with it. Nothing matters. The only thing that matters is your willpower. If you have that you will achieve your goal.

I hope you all are having a great week and happy PLL day,

Ana


p.s I'm just a beginer in ballet, so I don't know much. What I wrote in this post are researchs and my ballet teachers opinions. So I asure you that the information can be trusted. But if you find any flaws or a misinterpretation of my behalf , you can leave it down bellow and I will make corrections.
Thank You

No comments:

Post a Comment