Sunday, March 8, 2015

Book Review: Narrative Life of Frederick Douglass


I found out about this book when I had to read it for my English class in 2013, when I was still living in the U.S. A lot of people didn't enjoy it that much probably bacause of the formal language and different dialects in it, but I really liked it. It is an autobiography and awesome for people who want to know more about the civil war and the role of african american people at that time.
Frederick Douglass narrates his story since the beginning, writes about the racism that the suffered through out his hole life, the struggle of finding a job, seeing the violence that people of colored skin went through up close and a lot of other difficult situations. But there are not just negative and sad parts in this book, Douglass bacame a leader of the abolitionist moviment, a writer, a orator and father. He was a former slave.

This is really a book to think about, there is still a lot of prejudice happening in our society today, not just against african americans, but against women, sexuality, different religions, cultural diversity and many others. I am probably going to write a post expressing my opinion about this topic in more detail.

Like I was saying, the book is beautiful, the writing style is filled with emotion. I would recommend this book to everyone, and if you get the chance to read it for your English or U.S History class, do it, because you would be missing out.








Hope you all had a great weekend.

Ana

No comments:

Post a Comment