Saturday, May 30, 2015

Thinking About the Future | College & Stress


I was planning to write this post for a long time now, because being a senior in high school means that you have to think constantly about what you are going to be doing next year. And it is so stressful deciding what major you want, planning for college and thinking about finding a job. Almost every single day I go online looking for colleges that interests me and finding majors that I like, and that can be a little overwhelming sometimes. I'm trying to keep calm and don't think about it as much, but it is hard to do so when there are a bunch of teachers and sometimes family members pressuring you about the future, telling that you have to decide now because it is what you are going to be doing for the rest of your life. And that if you don't go to college you won't get a good job, won't have money and won't have a good life. 

But that is so wrong. I don't think that the only way of being successful in life is going to college and get a major. In my opion the real mening of being successful in life is being happy with what you do, so if you feel happy going to colloge and getting a major in economics, good for you if that's what you feel joyful doing. Or if you like just working, at a bookshop or a supermarket and feel happy doing it, great. And whatever you choose in doing in the future does not mean that you can't change it, you can switch major any time and look for another job, too. Do what feels right for you and don't bother in what other people are going to say about it.

Well, I am going to tell a little about my plans for next year. Since I'm half way into my senior year, I have still have six months to plan it all out (here in Brazil schools start in January and end in December). So, I'm thinking of applying to college in the U.S and here in Brazil, too. If I go to college in the U.S, I'll be getting an AA degree in a small college first and then probably go to a 4-year University, and in the mean while work somewhere. And in Brazil probably just go to a 4-year University, because we don't have that much options here. For majors I'm thinking about Journalism, History of Art or Internacional Relations, but I have not decided yet.

This is my plan, but I know that anything and everything can happen and maybe I will change my mind about my major or about college. This is life, we will never know with certainly what is going to happend, so the only thing we can do is plan. So don't get stressed out over the future, if it is suppose to happend it will, and if not, it won't. If you are in similar situation as me, I wish you the best of luck. If you are confused about your future, don't worry, you will find your path in life and it will be one that makes you happy.


So good luck to you all. I hope you are having a great weekend,

Ana

2 comments:

  1. This was an interesting post for me because last year I finished my 4 year university course and since then haven't managed to get anything right!
    I think it's silly to pressure young people into deciding a career path before they've even had a chance to experience any work!
    Looking back now I wish I had pursued other options instead of univeristy and I think I'd have been a lot better off!!
    Good to see you're thinking carefully :)

    The Everyday Life of Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy that you enjoyed the post and that you could relate to it. Thank you so much for the comment, it is good to know someone's experiences about college and life in general. I certainly feel a lot more confident now about the decisions I will be making in the end of the year.

    Thanks again,

    Ana

    ReplyDelete